Kirk A. Campbell, M.D.Orthopedic Surgeon
Specializing in Sports Medicine, Cartilage Restoration & Shoulder Surgery
I am a Board Certified orthopedic surgeon and have completed advanced specialized fellowship training in caring for patients with sports medicine injuries requiring both non-operative and operative care. I have extensive experience caring for patients in need of complex arthroscopic procedures, as well as, minimally invasive open surgery. I specialize in the treatment of shoulder, elbow and knee injuries with an emphasis on advanced arthroscopic reconstructive techniques of the shoulder, shoulder replacement, knee ligament reconstruction, articular cartilage restoration and meniscal transplantation. I also provide general orthopedic fracture care for traumatic injuries and provide patients with osteoarthritis with cutting edge care including the use of Orthobiologics, such as platelet rich plasma (PRP) and stem cells.
After graduating from New York University School of Medicine, I completed my orthopaedic surgery residency and research fellowship at the world-renown, New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases where I received numerous awards for both basic science and clinical orthopaedic research. I then completed a Sports Medicine fellowship at Rush University Medical Center in Chicago under the guidance of some of the world leaders in Sports Medicine, and Shoulder and Elbow Surgery. While in Chicago, I served as an assistant team physician for the Chicago Bulls, Chicago White Sox, and DePaul University Athletics. In my practice, I provide personalized care to my patients who range from the young high level athlete to the masters’ level competitor, and from the weekend warrior to the retiree. My goal is to formulate a personalized treatment plan that will return you to your desired activity.
My lifelong interest in science and sports, led to me becoming a clinician-scientist and I actively contribute to the sports medicine and orthopaedic surgery literature. I have published extensively in the peer reviewed literature and my work has been presented at both national and international orthopaedic surgery meetings. My primary research interests include: cartilage restoration, meniscus transplantation, stem cells, ACL reconstruction and clinical outcomes. My research efforts have been recognized with multiple awards and research grants. My hope is to translate the research findings into clinical breakthroughs that will provide patients who are young, and those young at heart, with cutting edge care that will allow them to resume the activities they love and cherish.
- June 2003
Union College, Schenectady, NY
Bachelor of Science
- May 2008
New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY
Doctor of Medicine
Post-Graduate Education And TrainingPost-Graduate Education And Training
- July 2006-June 2007
Howard Hughes Medical Institute/National Institutes of Health Cloisters Research Scholars Program, Bethesda, MD
Mentor: Chand Khanna, DVM, PhD
- July 2010-June 2011
New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, NY
Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Orthopedic Surgery Physician-Scientist Training Program,
Department of Orthopedic Surgery,
Mentor: Thorsten Kirsch, PhD
- July 2008-June 2014
New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York, NY
Resident, Department of Orthopedic Surgery,
Chairman: Joseph D. Zuckerman, MD
- August 2014-July 2015
Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL
Sports Medicine Fellow, Division of Sports Medicine, Department of Orthopedic Surgery,
Fellowship Director: Bernard R. Bach Jr., MD
Honors & AwardsHonors & Awards
NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases
AAOS/OREF/ORS Clinician Scientist Development Program
Arthritis Foundation, Inc., New York Chapter, Research Fellowship in Orthopedic Surgery
Best Scientific Paper award, NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases Annual Resident Research Symposium
Finalist, New Investigator Recognition Award, Orthopedic Research Society 2012 Annual Meeting
Eastern Orthopedic Association’s Resident/Fellow Travel Grant Award, Eastern Orthopedic Association 2012 Annual Meeting
American Orthopedic Association Resident Leadership Forum
Executive Chief Resident, Department of Orthopedic Surgery, NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases
Best Scientific Paper Award, NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases Annual Resident Research Symposium
American Orthopedic Association Emerging Leaders Program
Reicher Award For Basic Science Research, NYU Hospital For Joint Diseases
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons Diversity Advisory Board Scholarship
Young Investigator Award, American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons/ Orthopedic Research Society Musculoskeletal Infection: Where are we in 2014? Research Symposium
Senior Resident Research Award, NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases
NYU School of Medicine
Howard Hughes Medical Institute/National Institutes of Health Cloisters Research Scholars Program Fellowship
John W.V. Cordice Sr. and Jr. Award
Harold and Ellen Nagorsky Memorial Pre-Medical Student Prize
The Phi Beta Kappa Society
Sigma Xi, The Scientific Research Society
Magna Cum Laude Graduate
- Strauss EJ, Campbell K, Bosco JA. Analysis of the Cross-Sectional Area of the Adductor Longus Tendon: A Descriptive Anatomic Study. Am J Sports Med 2007; 35: 996-999.
- Campbell K, Wodajo F. Case Report: Two Step Malignant Transformation of a Liposclerosing Myxofibrous Tumor of Bone. Clin Orthop Relat Res 2008; 466: 2873-2877.
- Mendoza A, Hong SH, Osborne T, Khan M, Campbell K, Briggs J, Eleswarapu A, Buquo L, Ren L, Hewitt S, Dakir E, Garfield S, Walker R, Merlino G, Green J, Hunter K, Wakefield L, Khanna C. Modeling Metastasis Biology and Therapy in Real Time in the Mouse Lung. J Clin Invest 2010; 120: 2979-2988.
- Park JJ, Campbell KA, Mercuri JJ, Tejwani NC. Updates in the Management of Orthopedic Soft Tissue Injuries Associated with Lower Extremity Trauma. Am J Orthop 2012; 41: E27-E35.
- Arno A, Hadley S, Campbell KA, Bell C, Hall M, Beltran L, Recht M, Sherman O, Walker P. The Effect of Arthroscopic Partial Medial Meniscectomy on Tibiofemoral Stability. Am J Sports Med 2013; 41: 73-79.
- Campbell KA, Danna N, Strauss EJ, Bosco JA. Muscle: Structure, Physiology, and Response to Injury. Orthopedic Knowledge Online Journal 2013; 11 (1).
- Available for CME credit from the AAOS
- Campbell KA, Phillips M, Stachel A, Bosco JA, Metha SA. Incidence and Risk Factors for Hospital Acquired-Clostridium Difficile Infection Among Inpatients at an Orthopedic Surgery Tertiary Care Hospital. J Hosp Infect 2013; 83: 146-149.
- Campbell KA, Quirno M, Day M, Strauss EJ. Preventing Venous Thromboembolism in Major Orthopedic Surgery. Curr Orthop Pract 2013: 24:312-320.
- Minashima T, Campbell K, Kirsch T. Annexins: Novel Therapeutic Targets for the Treatment of Osteoarthritis? J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2013; 21:256-257.
- Campbell KA, Minashima T, Yang Z, Hadley S, Lee YJ, Giovinazzo J, Quirno M, Kirsch T. Annexin 6 Interacts With p65 and Stimulates NF-KB Activity and Catabolic Events In Articular Chondrocytes. Arthritis and Rheum 2013; 65: 3120-3129.
- Winner of the Reicher Award For Basic Science Research, NYU Hospital For Joint Diseases
- Minashima T, Campbell KA, Hadley S, Zhang Y, Kirsch T. The Role Of Ank Interactions With Mybbp1a And Sphk1 In Catabolic Events Of Articular Chondrocytes. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage 2014; 22: 852-861.
- Danna N, Beutel B, Campbell KA, Bosco JA. Therapeutic Approaches to Skeletal Muscle Repair and Healing. Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach 2014; 6: 348-355.
- Campbell KA, Stein S, Looze C, Bosco JA. Antibiotic Stewardship in Orthopedic Surgery: Principles and Practice. J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2014; 22:772-781.
- Erickson BJ, Saltzman BM, Campbell KA, Fillingham YA, Harris JD, Gupta AK, Bach BR. Rates of Deep Venous Thrombosis and Pulmonary Embolus Following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: A Systematic Review. Sports Health: A Multidisciplinary Approach 2015; 7: 261-266.
- Quirno M, Campbell KA, Singh B, Hasan S, Jazrawi L, Kummer F, Strauss EJ. Distal Femoral Varus Osteotomy For Unloading Valgus Knee Malalignment: A Biomechanical Analysis. Knee Surg. Sports Traumatol. Arthrosc. 2015: April 17 [Epub ahead of print].
- Campbell KA, Erickson BJ, Saltzman BM, Mascarenhas R, Bach BR, Cole BJ, Verma NN. Is Local Viscosupplementation Injection Clinically Superior to Other Therapies in the Treatment of Osteoarthritis of the Knee: A Systematic Review of Overlapping Meta-Analyses. Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery 2015: May 18 [Epub ahead of print].
- Campbell KA, Saltzman BM, Mascarenhas R, Khair MM, Bach BR, Cole BJ, Verma NN. Does Intra-articular Platelet-rich Plasma Injection Provide Clinically Superior Outcomes Compared to other Therapies in the Treatment of Knee Osteoarthritis? A Systematic Review of Overlapping Meta-Analyses. Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery 2015: May 29 [Epub ahead of print].
- Saltzman BM, Campbell KA, Nho S, Bush-Joseph CA. A Novel Technique for Chronic Retracted Proximal Hamstring Rupture Reconstruction Using an Achilles Tendon Allograft in a “Clasp” Configuration. Operative Techniques in Sports Medicine 2015, July 20 [Epub ahead of print].
- Saltzman BM, Campbell KA. Commentary: In knee osteoarthritis, pharmacological interventions, with the exception of acetaminophen, significantly improve pain; with intra-articular administration being more effective. Evidence-Based Medicine 2015, August 3 [Epub ahead of print].
- Campbell KA, Cunningham C, Hasan S, Hutzler L, Phillips M, Bosco J. Risk Factors for Developing Staphylococcus aureus Nasal Colonization in Spine and Arthroplasty Surgery. Bulletin of the Hospital for Joint Diseases 2015; 73: 276-281.
- Saltzman BM, Jain A, Campbell KA, Mascarenhas R, Romeo AA, Verma NN, Cole BJ. Does the Use of Platelet-rich Plasma at the Time of Surgery Improve Clinical Outcomes in Arthroscopic Rotator Cuff Repair when Compared with Control Cohorts? A Systematic Review of Meta-Analyses. Arthroscopy: The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery 2015, December 22 [Epub ahead of print].
- Levy D, Myers Z, Campbell KA, Bach BR. Subpectoral Biceps Tenodesis: A Review. Am J Orthop 2016; 45: 68-74.
- Riboh J, Tilton A, Cvetanovitch G, Campbell KA, Cole BJ. Meniscal Allograft Transplantation in the Adolescent Population. The Journal of Arthroscopic and Related Surgery 2016, February 19 [Epub ahead of print].
- Bogunovic L, Jain A, Campbell KA, Wright R. The Role of DVT Prophylaxis After ACL Reconstruction. Operative Techniques in Sports Medicine 2016; 24: 73-76.
- Frank R, Tilton A, Campbell KA, Bach BR. Managing Perioperative Extensor Mechanism Injuries And The Patellar Defect After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Operative Techniques in Sports Medicine 2016; 24: 29-34.
- Williams D, Heidloff D, Haglage E, Schumacher K, Cole BJ, Campbell KA. ACL Functional Sports Assessment. Operative Techniques in Sports Medicine 2016; 24: 59-64.
- Campbell KA, Looze C, Strauss EJ, Bosco JA. The Weak Link in ACL Reconstruction: What is the Evidence for Graft Fixation Devices. Bulletin of the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases 2016; 74: 12-23.
- Melano CR, Campbell KA, Romeo AA, Cole BJ. Double Row, Transosseous-Equivalent Suture-Bridge Repair for Supraspinatus Tears: Power up the Healing. Techniques in Shoulder and Elbow Surgery 2016; 17: 49-57.
- Erickson BJ, Campbell K, Jain A, Cvetanovich GL, Higgins JD, Frank RM, Nicholson GP, Romeo AA. Are post-operative drains beneficial in total and reverse total shoulder arthroplasty? Orthop Res Traumatol Open J. 2016; 1: 22-27.
- Erickson BJ, Rossi V, Campbell KA, Bach BR, Harris J, Gupta A. Use of Anticoagulation Following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction: A Systematic Review. EC Orthopedics 2016; 3.4: 336-339.
- Capo J, Kaplan DJ, Fralinger D, Adler R, Campbell K, Jazrawi LM, Alaia MJ. Ultrasonographic Visualization and Assessment of the Anterolateral Ligament. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy 2016, June 25 [Epub ahead of print].
- Levy, DM, Kuhns BD, Frank R, Grzybowski JS, Campbell KA, Brown S, Nho SJ. High Rate of Return to Running for Athletes After Hip Arthroscopy for the Treatment of Femoroacetabular Impingement and Capsular Plication. Am J Sports Med 2016, September 12 [Epub ahead of print].
- Quirno M, Campbell KA, Yoo A, Cuellar J, Hoelscher C, Ricart-Hoffiz, Tate A, Mikolaenko I, Kirsch T, Errico TJ. The Effect of Prophylactic Local Epidural Steroid Delivery in a Spinal Cord Injury Model. JSM Neurosurg Spine 2017, 5(1): 1077.
- Glait SA, Ryan WE, Alaia MJ, Campbell KA, Strauss EJ, Jazrawi LM. Meniscal Allograft Transplantation Made Simple: Bridge and Slot Technique. Arthroscopy Techniques 2017 Arthroscopy Techniques 2017, 6 (6): e2129-e2135.
- Nyland J, Campbell KA, Kalloub A, Strauss EJ, Caborn D. Medial Meniscus Grafting Restores Normal Tibiofemoral Contact Pressures. Archives of Orthopedic and Trauma Surgery: Including Arthroscopy and Sports Medicine 2017, December 2 [Epub ahead of print].
- Kaplan DJ, Campbell KA, Alaia MJ, Chang G, Burke C. Clinical utility of continuous radial MRI acquisition at 3T in patellofemoral kinematic assessment. Arthroscopy 2017, December 19 [Epub ahead of print].
- Campbell KA, Quirno M, Hamula M, Bhavesh J, Ramakrishnan R, Kummer F, Jazrawi L, Strauss EJ. Suture Anchor Repair of Complete Proximal Hamstring Ruptures: A Cadaveric Biomechanical Evaluation. Bulletin of the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases 2017, 75(4):241-247.
- Liu JX, Paoli A, Mahure S, Bosco J, Campbell KA. Does Preoperative Bariatric Surgery Increase the Risk for Readmissions After Total Joint Arthroplasty? Journal of Orthopedics 2018, January (Accepted).
- Paoli A, Pickell M, Mahure SA, McAllister D, Mai DH, Alaia M, Virk M, Campbell KA. Trends and Risk Factors for One-Year Complication of Latarjet Procedure: The New York State Experience Over the Last Decade. Orthopedics 2018, January (Accepted).
- Liu JX, Mahure S, McAllister D, Strauss EJ, Jazrawi L, Campbell KA. The State of Meniscal Allograft Transplantation in New York Over The Last Decade. Am Journal of Orthopedics 2018, January (Revisions).
- Pham H, Pickell M, Yagnatovsky M, Kramarchuk M, Alaia MJ, Jazrawi LM, Strauss EJ, Campbell KA. Pain and Narcotic Use Following Arthroscopic Meniscectomy: A Prospective Observational Study. Arthroscopy 2017, December (Revisions).
- Zacchilli MA, Nguyen MV, Jones KJ, Campbell KA, Gonzalez-Lomas G, Alaia MJ. Surgical treatment of posterior cruciate ligament avulsion fractures: A systematic review. The Knee 2017, April (Submitted).
- Lakomkin N, Pickell M, Zacchilli M, Main M, Alaia, Virk M, Bosco JA, Campbell KA. Determination of Risk Factors for 30-Day Readmissions Following Shoulder Surgery in Sports Medicine. Arthroscopy 2017, January (Submitted).
- Liu JX, Paoli A, Mahure S, Bosco J, Campbell KA. Preoperative Bariatric Surgery Utilization and 90-day Postoperative Complication Rates following Total Joint Arthroplasty. Journal of Arthroplasty 2017, April (Submitted).
- Luthringer TA, Kester B, Virk M, Alaia MJ, Campbell KA. Shoulder Arthroplasty for Posttraumatic Shoulder Arthritis is Associated with Increased Transfusions and Longer Operative Times. Am Journal of Orthopedics 2017, November (Submitted).
- Campbell KA, Cvetanovitch G, Tilton A, Smith M, Scalise N, Riboh J, Yankee A, Cole B. The Fate of Patients that Do Not Undergo Implantation Following Biopsy for Future Autologous Chondrocyte Implantation. Arthroscopy 2017, December (Submitted).
- Kaplan DJ, Zacchilli M, Schempf T, McQuilkin J, Strauss EJ, Jazrawi LM, Alaia MJ, Campbell KA. The Impact of Socioeconomic Factors on Outcomes Following Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction. Am J Sports Med 2018, January (Pending submission).
- Pham H, Pickell M, Yagnatovsky M, Kramarchuk M, Alaia MJ, Campbell KA, Jazrawi LM, Strauss EJ. The Relationship Between Physical Disability and Psychological Distress in Patients with Knee Pain. Am J Sports Med 2018, January (Pending submission).
- Dai A, Kester B, Zusmanovich M, Pham H, McAllister D, Alaia MJ, Campbell KA. Multiligamentous Knee Injuries: Concurrent Procedures and Operative Complications. Knee Surgery, Sports Traumatology, Arthroscopy 2018, January (Pending submission).
- Behery OA, Dai A, Kramarchuk M, Jejurikar N, Campbell KA, Jazrawi LM, Strauss EJ. The Effects of Pre-operative Acetaminophen in Isolated Meniscectomy Patients. Arthroscopy 2018, January (Pending submission).
NON-PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATION
- Campbell K, Danowski B. Effects of GFP-Palladin Over-expression on the Rate of Wound Closure in Swiss 3T3 Cells. Senior Thesis in Biology at Union College, 2003.
- Campbell KA, Quirno M. Introduction: Orthopedic Chief Resident Grand Rounds Presentations. Bulletin of the NYU Hospital for Joint Diseases 2014; 72 (1).
- Campbell KA, Haro M, Cole BJ. Anterior Cruciate Ligament Injury, Reconstruction and Rehabilitation. Operative Techniques in Sports Medicine 2016; 24: (1).
Research InterestsResearch Interests
Dr. Campbell is a clinician-scientist who conducts basic science and clinical research in the following areas:
Conditions and Treatments
- Arthroscopic Surgery
- Sports Medicine
- Sports Trauma
- Knee and Shoulder Arthritis
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Shoulder Replacement
- Cartilage Restoration
- Meniscal Transplantation
- Platelet-rich plasma (PRP)
- Stem Cells, Knee Injuries
- Anterior Cruciate Ligament Tear
- Cartilage Defects
- Cell Transplant
- Cartilage Repair
- Meniscus Surgery
- Meniscus Repair
- Meniscus Tears
- Knee Osteoarthritis
- Tendon Injuries
- Patellar Instability
- Surgical Cutting of the Bone
- Rotator Cuff Surgery
- Shoulder Injuries
- Shoulder Dislocation
- Biceps Tendonitis and Instability
- Labral Tears
- SLAP Tears
- Adhesive Capsulitis
- Shoulder Arthritis
- Total Shoulder Replacement
- Clavicle Fracture
- Proximal Humerus Fracture
- Shoulder Fractures
- Biceps Rupture
- Elbow Surgery
- Medial Epicondylitis of the Elbow
- Achilles Tendon Injuries
- Proximal Hamstring Repair
- Pectoralis Major Repair
- Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement
- Primary and Revision Knee Ligament Reconstruction (ACL, PCL, LCL and MCL)
- Lateral Epicondylitis of the Elbow (Tennis Elbow)
The Woolworth Building
New York, NY 10279
Phone: (212) 513-7711
934 Manhattan Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11222
Phone: (718) 389-8585
333 East 38th Street, 4th Floor
New York, NY 10016
Phone: (646) 356-9407